If You have any questions and concerns, which can not be addressed by our FAQ, Please feel free to contact us by e-mail at cts@chinatravel.com.au

How Do I get a China Visa?

Visa is required for Australian and most other nationalities.
China Travel Service will help you procure your visa after you have confirmed the booking with us. Detailed instruction, application fee and visa application form will be sent to you upon receipt of your tour deposit. You can also apply directly at the Chinese Embassy in Canberra, or the Consulates General in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth.

Canberra Chinese Embassy
15 Coronation Drive, Yarralumla, ACT 2600
Tel: 02 6273 4783 6273 4471

Sydney Consulate General.
39 Dunblane Street, Camperdown, NSW 2050
Tel: 02 8595 8002 Fax: 02 8595 8001

Melbourne Consulate General
75 - 77 Irving Road, Toorak
Vic 3142
Tel: 03 9804 3683

Perth Consulate General
Level 3, Australia Place, 15-17 William Street,
Peth, WA 6000
Tel: 08 9481 3278

You can also download Visa application form from our website : China Visa Application Form

Can I Travel to Tibet independently?

According to Chinese official regulation, you cannot travel to Tibet independently .You have to book a tour package to Tibet through a tour company. You need a special travel permit to enter Tibet in addition to a valid China Visa. China Travel Service has designed several flexible and affordable packages. Please contact us for further details.

Do I need immunisations?

No immunizations are required for entry into China, unless the traveller is coming from a yellow fever infected area. The Traveller's Medical and Vaccination Center (TMVC ) recommends all travellers have current polio and tetanus immunizations . For travelling into countryside, immune globulin is also recommended to combat hepatitis A, as is typhoid immunization. It is very important to bring along a supply of wide spectrum antibiotics, an anti-diarrhoeal agent, and any other prescription drugs required. For most update information, please contact TMVC in Sydney or visit their web site at http://www.tmvc.com.au

Do I need visa for visit to Hong Kong?

For Australia Passport Holders, visa is not required within 90 days there as a tourist. For other passport holders, please inquire with your nearest PRC Embassies or Consulates.

When is the best time to visit China?

Deciding when to visit China depends on which places you wish to visit, what type of weather you enjoy, and how much a bargain you want. Remember that China is a big country with many different climates and types of terrain. Think of it in terms of Australia, which China resembles in size and shape. Travelling along the Golden Route (Beijing Xian, Shanghai, and Guilin) is like visiting Sydney, Melbourne, Gold Coast and Canberra all in one trip. May, September, and October are the peak tourist months at Chinas most popular destinations, when the weather is most comfortable. The shoulder season runs from late March through April and from June through August. The off-season arrives in late November, and continues through the winter. Bearing in mind that we are in the southern hemisphere the season they have is actually opposite of what we have here.

What To Pack?

Pack lightly, and bring casual clothes. A sturdy, comfortable pair of walking shoes is an absolute. A sports coat and tie for man, and one or two dresses or pantsuits for women, will suit the most formal occasions to be encountered in China. Travelers should bring shirts, sweaters, and jackets that can be worn in layers to suit a range of climates or you can just buy it when you are travelling in China. Remember, dress for comfort, not for style.


  • Electrical converter and adapter plugs. China's electrical system operates at 220 volts.
  • Hair drier, razor, alarm clock.
  • Common toiletries, cold and digestive medications, lip balm, sanitary napkins and any over-the-counter medicines you generally use.
  • Chewing gum, mints, or throat lozenges to keep your mouth moist.
  • Reading materials, including a guidebook on the places you will see.
  • Suntan lotion and sun glasses. Raincoat if you go in July and August.
  • Camera, flash & a lot of films. Negative film is available in most places, positive film(Slide) may be difficult to find. And be sure to pack extra batteries. (Please note that photography restriction may be imposed for some places of interest.
  • A note book to keep track of all the exciting things happening on the trip.

Whom should I contact for more general information?

China National Tourism Administration Overseas Offices.

China National Tourist Office, Sydney
11th Floor, 234 George Street,
Sydney NSW 2000,
Tel: 02-9252 9838
Fax: 02-9252 2728
Web: http://www.cnto.org.au
Email: chinainfo@cnto.org.au

What is the Voltage in China?

220 Volt AC; 50Hz.

What Currency should I bring?

In China, the local currency is 'Yuan'. Currently 1 Australian dollar equals to 6.4 Yuan. We recommend that you bring your credit card, American Express, Travelers Cheque and small amounts of cash. Most major hotels and shops in major cities accept major credit cards. You may also cash your Travelers Cheque. You can get a bit higher exchange rate if you cash the Travelers cheque. Personal cheques are not acceptable.

In Hong Kong, the local currency is HK Dollar. 1 Australian dollar equals to 6.4 HK dollars. Please be noted the exchange rate fluctuates and information provided here is for your reference only.

What about luggage allowance for domestic flights?

For domestic China and Intra-asia flights, you are allowed to check in one piece of luggage. The limitation is 20 Kilograms (44 pounds) total.

Is the Tap water drinkable?

Tap water is not drinkable in China. We recommend that you buy bottled water there, it is inexpensive and available everywhere.

Do I have to tip when join a organised tour?

Though Chinese Government does not encourage tipping. However, it has become a very popular norm to tip the tour guide and driver in recognition of their good service. Also, hotel bellboy expects your tips as well. It is not customary to leave tips at local restaurant. Normally, you do not need to tip at hotel restaurants, as the bill includes service charge.

What is ETA?

An ETA is equivalent to a visa, but there is no stamp or label in your passport and there is no need for you to visit an Australian diplomatic office to submit an application. Applications for ETAs can be submitted through travel agents or airlines.

Now, you can also submit applications directly through this web site by clicking on the Apply for ETA button and, in most cases, we will be able to approve your ETA in less than 30 seconds. In a small number of cases, if your ETA cannot be approved immediately, you will need to check back in 12 hours to confirm whether your application has been successful. You can also check your ETA status, if you applied through this site, by clicking on the Check your ETA button.

The ETA is issued electronically by a computer system operated for the Department of Immigration And Citizenship (DIAC) of Australia.

When an application for an ETA is submitted through this site, all you need to do is enter the details from your passport and your credit card information. The application is processed immediately. Approved applications are electronically recorded on Australian Government systems.

When you arrive at an airport for check-in on a flight to Australia, the airline check-in staff can electronically confirm that you have authority to board the flight to Australia